Monday, August 6, 2012

Inspiration...

Throughout my design career, first in menswear, and more recently in jewelry and accessories, the question I have heard the most from people is:
"Where do you find your inspiration?"

Although it seems like this should be a question that is easy to answer, it really isn't. I find inspiration in a wide variety of places. Sometimes it can be a part of nature; a tree in full bloom, a beautiful sunset, or bird gliding through the morning sky.

Other times it is something much more simple. There are occasions that I see a piece of jewelry on someone else and think to myself "That's cute, but...". Unless it's something I've designed myself, there is always a but at the end of that sentence. And it's that BUT that is my inspiration.

And there are times where the inspiration seems to come from nowhere. A shape I catch out of the corner of my eye, a color I especially like, or an outfit that I don't have the right piece of jewelry for. There are times the whole design just materializes in my mind's eye, but usually it gradually forms as time progresses.

Whether it is a formal necklace, or a casual cuff bracelet, no matter where I get my inspiration for a particular piece, my goal is that it, in turn, inspires others.

No comments:

Post a Comment